Tuesday, October 7, 2008

6 months of dedication and hard work all comes down to October 5, 2008, 7:00 am...

...until 10:47 am, when I finished my first marathon.

My time was 3 hours, 47 minutes, and 5 seconds, 7 min and 5 sec shy of qualifying for the Boston marathon. Not bad for a first timer!

It took 6 months of training for me to accomplish this goal, the longest, most physically demanding thing I have committed to. Now that I know what to expect, I think I will aim for that Boston qualifying goal at the NYC marathon next year!


Check out my stats compared to all runners, in comparison to the female runners, females in my age category, AND what percentage of men finished AFTER me! http://www.runpix.info/por08/42/finord.php?LastName=5414&lan=&aset=0 Very interesting!



Dad and mom calling to wish me luck minutes before the start of the race. Like my cheapo Target gloves? A fellow running friend filled me in on buying the $1.50 gloves (2 pairs for $1.50)and discarding when you don't need them-what a brilliant idea!


Please can we start this already? I'm ready!


And.....run! Me and 9,000+ others striving for similar goals, to conquer the most difficult race of all running races, 26.2 miles. We were packed in like sardines!

Still running and I must be having fun at this point, I am smiling!



Big doggie, little doggie.




Here I am crossing the finish line. I am wearing the white top, blue shorts and red hat. My name was announced when crossing. The real time finish was 3:47:34, my chip time is 3:47:05, which means, I crossed over the start 29 seconds after the race started. I was in the second wave of runners. It was the happiest moment ever when I crossed the finish line, WHOOP!

Did you know....the Portland marathon is one of the top 10 greenest races? It is tops due to its use in solar power, all finishers receive a seedling to plant, all aid stations are located to hose connections, and volunteers use bikes instead of cars on the course. Of the top 10 races, Oregon had 3 races in the top rankings! The Portland Marathon, a Portland tri-athalon, and the Eugene marathon. Way to be ahead of the earth friendly game, Oregon! http://www.portlandmarathon.org/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome work! I hope to run one, and just one, marathon in my lifetime.

Unknown said...

Derfo = balpreet

Grandma Barb said...

Way to go Meggan - we are so proud of you! We cheered from MN (we know how much Mike loves those cow bells...)Congratulations - all the hard work paid off. Love you much!
Mom and Dad